The purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatics emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over.
Participants will all receive a pocket mask and access to an American Red Cross Lifeguarding Participants e-book (books will be available for use during the course but not sent home with the participants). Upon completion of this course participants will receive American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED valid for 2 years.
- Must be 15 years old on or before the final day of the course.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may use front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs.
- Complete the following event in 1 minute, 40 seconds:
--Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Face may be in or out of the water.
--Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7-10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
--Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath.
--Exit the water without using a ladder or steps
Approximately 26 hours, 25 minutes
- Attend and participate in all class sessions.
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities.
- Demonstrate competency in all required final rescue skill scenarios.
- Pass the CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, First Aid, Administering Emergency Oxygen and Lifeguarding Skills final written exams with minimum grades of 80 percent.
Lifeguard Training Class Times and Dates
March 23-26, 2017
This course gives individuals with a current lifeguarding/first aid/CPR/AED certificate the opportunity to review Lifeguard Training content within a formal course setting. The review course format optimizes a participant’s ability to successfully complete the knowledge and skills evaluations needed for renewal.