Sunshine Corner Part-Day Licensed Preschool
Sunshine Corner offers a unique Preschool experience is designed to prepare kids to be ready for kindergarten. Our goal is to provide an environment in which children experience that learning is fun and exciting. We utilize a curriculum that enables children to develop school readiness skills! We are committed to helping your family learn, grow and thrive. We’re located on a sunny corner of the Red Wing Family YMCA, where our large windows let in the light.
Our students can cook pretend feasts in the small kitchen, paint pictures at the easels, or dress up with friends at the costume trunks. They can delve their hands into sand or other delights at the sensory table, cozy up to a book on our bright shape carpet, or climb up the rungs on our mini jungle gym. Small circular tables encourage working together in groups, and yellow walls make our space cheery even on cloudy days.
Our Preschool Staff
The Y Preschool Program is successful because of the extraordinary people who make it all happen each day. Lead Teacher Katelynn Campbell comes to us with experience at the YMCA over the last 4+ years. Katelynn has been a lead teacher in Peach Tree Child Care, was a para in the RW school district and this summer was up for the challenge of leading our older kids in Kids Power Club. Katelynn earned her Associates degree in Early Childhood from Minnesota State Southeast College and actually did her internship in Sunshine Corner, so our routine and expectations are not new to her. She is excited to help your preschooler grow and learn new things.
Our Preschool Program:
- Stimulates your child physically, emotionally, developmentally and socially
- Prepares your child for school success
- Encourages your child to develop language skills to problem-solve and communicate
- Offers responsible, caring, well-trained adult staff that provides the best care for your child
- Offers excellent child-to-adult ratios for individualized attention
- Provides a safe, warm atmosphere that meets individual needs
About the Curriculum
Our goal is to provide well-rounded experiences that nurture and enhance your child’s development by offering “learning through play.” urposeful and educational activities are designed to:
- Stimulate critical thinking skills
- Develop creativity
- Enhance learning
- Develop language skills
- Develop problem-solving skills
- Develop communication effectiveness
The “learn through play” curriculum has been customized for the specific needs and interests of children, talents and abilities of staff members, and the resources within the YMCA and surrounding community.
Safety at Preschool
Your child’s safety and security is our top priority and is achieved through established and practiced procedures. We take every precaution to insure safety for your child, including:
- Frequent site inspections
- Maintenance of buildings, play areas and equipment
Parent Participation in Preschool
We encourage parents to participate in Preschool activities whenever possible. You’re welcome on field trips, as guest readers or speakers in the classroom, and much more. Talk with the preschool director to determine how you can best lend your talents.
Your child’s learning experience is enhanced with enrichment activities that are included in your Preschool tuition. Activities are different for each location and age group—some examples include:
- Introductory Language explores languages like Spanish or American Sign Language through games, storytelling and songs.
- Kids’ Fitness, which helps children build a foundation of healthy habits while having fun with exercise and movement.
- Music & Movement lets kids explore musical concepts, including song, dance, rhythm and musical instruments.
Healthy meals and snacks are the cornerstone of your child’s learning throughout the day. Smart food choices are taught and modeled by our staff such a drinking water and the importance of all four food groups.
Physical activity is an important part of every day at the Y. Large motor skills are developed through daily active play. Your child’s physical skills are individually strengthened through the use of the Y’s extensive facilities—including play areas, gyms, pools and more.
How To Enroll:
- Contact the Preschool Program Director about availability.
- A $30.00 non-refundable registration fee is required to hold a spot in any of our programming.
- When your registration is confirmed, you’ll receive notice by email.
- An orientation date will be scheduled sometime in August-at this orientation, you will receive an enrollment packet.
- The enrollment packet and ALL required forms are due on the Monday one week prior to the start of the program. When they are complete, please drop off the forms at the Y. Children are not allowed to start our program until these forms are completed, and a physician is required to sign, so be sure to plan ahead.
The first month’s tuition is due on the first Monday of September and is non-refundable. If your tuition is not received, your spot will be forfeited to those on the waiting list. During the school year, tuition must be paid by the first of each month.
We offer electronic funds transfer for your convenience, which would automatically facilitate payment each month. There is a form listed on each Preschool location page if you’d like to go this route.
The Y also offers need-based scholarships to cover partial cost of Preschool tuition.